Is Your Home Exposed to Too Much Radon?

Home Inspection

Having respiratory illnesses is not solely caused by smoking. Sometimes, even the healthiest individuals will not be spared from lung conditions simply because they’re exposed to high levels of radon for a long period of time.

Radon is a silent killer that can be present in your own home or offices. That’s why radon testing services in Utah are increasing in number. Before you get alarmed, it’s important to understand what it is to manage and prevent it from posing serious health conditions.

What is radon?

Radon is present everywhere albeit in really low amounts. It’s found in soil and is a colorless, odorless radioactive gas produced by decaying uranium. Therefore, people breathe in radon every day. However, there are certain areas that have high radon concentration. This can be anywhere from your office, stores, schools, or even your home.

How does it get to your home?

Radon can seep into your home through wall pores and concrete. However, gaps in windows and doors are one of the most common culprits. A huge amount of radon can enter your home through these gaps and remain trapped inside. You and your family might unknowingly be living and breathing radon for years now. That’s why it’s important to get checked regularly.

Does your home need radon testing?

Not because your neighbor has high radon levels does not mean your home has, too. Every property is different. There are no tell-tale signs signifying that your home has high radon levels. It takes years for the body to react for too much radon exposure. Therefore, it pays to have your home tested regularly and take the necessary steps needed if the levels are found to be too high.

It’s never too late to have your home tested for radon. The earlier you know about it, the lesser damage can be done to you and your family’s health.